Development and delivery of a tailored Project Management Methodology and capability uplift (based on PRINCE2®)
Stage 1 IM&T - Deliverables:
- Project Management Methodology Framework for IT projects
- Project management templates for IT projects
- 3 day PRINCE2 Foundation training
- 1 day tailoring methodology workshop
- One-on-one coaching for project managers (approx. 2-3 months after training and once using the methodology on a live project)
After taking the Council IT team through the above deliverables, the outcomes achieved were measured by the development and successful implementation of a Council-wide Project Management Methodology Discovery Engagement
This entailed discussions with key stakeholders across the council (representing Capital Works, Strategy, Events, and Natural Environment) to understand council-wide requirements for a project management methodology/capability uplift.
Stage 2 Council-wide - Deliverables:
PM-Partners group implemented a Recommendation Report for a Council-wide approach to Project Management. As a result of receiving endorsement of all recommendations put forward to the Council, PM-Partners group created a Council-wide Project Management Methodology (PMM). The PMM was introduced in December 2012 and is still in practice to this day.
To reach this stage, the process for PM-Partners group entailed:
- Requirements elicitation – from key stakeholders (all areas)
- Council-wide Project Management Methodology Framework (using IT as the starting point but ensuring applicable to all types of projects) based on PRINCE2 integrating with Council Policy (e.g. environmental sustainability, procurement etc.)
- Council-wide project management templates designed and implemented
- A ½ day Executive Briefing (for the Leadership Group) was conducted
- 3 day PRINCE2 Foundation training (ongoing)
- 1 day tailoring methodology workshop (ongoing)
- Bridging workshop to PRINCE2 (for those who have undergonePMBOK® guidetraining)
- One-on-one coaching for project managers (ongoing)
- Establishment of Community of Practice (in progress)
60+ staff have been trained in 3 day Foundation + 1 day tailored workshops.
Currently scheduling 100+ staff to go through the 4 days of training.
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of the Cabinet Office.
PMBOK is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Download PDF version