“It is widely acknowledged that good programme management is essential to delivering effective and successful change.”
Managing Successful Programmes
Projects and programmes (and their respective disciplines) each have a place. Typically projects are designed to deliver a product/output or measurable benefit for an organisation. Taking this one step further, projects and the discipline of project management involve bounded and scoped deliverables which is where methodologies like PRINCE2® shine in such environments.
In differentiating between a project and a programme, the characteristics of a programme include the following:
- Focus on vision of an “end state”
- Focus on direction and delivery of strategy
- Defining the complexity, ambiguity, risk, many inter-dependencies and conflicting priorities
- Ensuring that benefits are realised during and afterwards; and
- Co-ordination of projects, deliverables, business change and transitioning to lead to outcomes
Programmes are typically established to coordinate, direct and oversee the implementation of a set of interrelated projects and activities to deliver outcomes and strategic benefits.
Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) provides a structured framework for programme management. It is the philosophical guide of best practice that facilitates the achievement of correct outcomes and benefits for an organisation. And is instrumental in providing the building blocks of change and transformational flow around a set guide of themes and principles.
To understand the real benefits of using the MSP framework and how it can be advantageous to you and your organisation. Consider the following:
Benefits for organisations
- MSP is recognised internationally and is a de facto standard for programme management in many countries and industries
- As the MSP framework is well defined methodology. Time can be spent on what is to be achieved in the programme, and not just on the manner by which it will be achieved, thereby reducing effort at programme identification and definition, and throughout the duration of the programme
- MSP can be tailored to suit the scale and complexity of a programme to ensure effective control and direction are applied at appropriate levels of authority
- MSP encapsulates good practice and is part of a suite of AXELOS best-practice guidance publications – as such it reflects industry standards and governance, implementing appropriate learnings and ensures continuous improvement to an organisation
- By acknowledging that a structured approach to programme management is being applied via MSP, the business can have greater confidence in the level of control being exercised and ultimate achievement of outcomes
- Programmes typically require extensive resource commitment over a long period. The application of MSP can reduce the risk that these resources are used unproductively – the focus is not just on producing outputs/deliverables but achieving benefits in the long term.
- Similarly projects are only initiated with the approval of the Programme Manager in line with the Blueprint for the future organization – this ensures that the project will lead to or enable the creation of one or more benefits
Benefits for individuals
- Internationally recognised programme management framework, widely used throughout Europe, Australia, USA and South East Asia
- MSP Foundation, Practitioner and Advanced Practitioner accreditations is internationally recognised. It recognises that an individual has attained a level of knowledge in accordance with certification standards
- MSP provides a consistent, methodical and controlled approach to the management of programmes – across industries and in both the private and public sector
- MSP provides an adaptable route map for the programme managers, business change managers, leaders, programme sponsors and programme office staff
- The MSP Principles empower practitioners to influence and shape transformational change towards success
- The MSP Governance Themes provide a control framework in order to put in place the appropriate leadership, delivery team, organization structures, controls and information for decision-making
- The MSP Transformational Flow provides guidance through the day-to-day life of a programme from conception through to capability delivery, transitioning, benefits management and programme closure
For more information on how PM-Partners can assist your business in up-skilling your staff around their current level of Project Management knowledge, speak to one of our qualified customer service team today on +65 6818 5771.
MSP® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited; PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited